How to install Rancher 2.5 in Docker Desktop’s bundled Kubernetes cluster.
- Tested with Docker Desktop 3.2.2 (Engine 20.10.5) + WSL2 + Kubernetes 1.19.7 in Windows.
- Tested with Docker Desktop 3.2.2 (Engine 20.10.5) + Kubernetes 1.19.7 in MacOS.
- Tested with Rancher 2.5.7
- Install Docker Desktop. If on Windows use WSL2.
- Enable Kubernetes.
- Install Nginx Ingress Controller: MacOS, Windows + WSL2. It’s supposed to be installed with Rancher but it didn’t come bundled when I installed Rancher). If you skip this step you wont be able to login to Rancher in step 5.
- Install Rancher follow the steps for rancher 2.5 for installations inside of a Kubernetes cluster.
- Add “127.0.0.1 rancher.my.org” (without quotes) at the end of your hosts file. Go to https://rancher.my.org in your browser and set up your admin account. (If on Chrome you might need to bypass the ssl certificate error using the right click + “thisisunsafe” approach).
- Inside cluster Explorer go to the continuous delivery section.
- Change to fleet–local namespace instead of fleet-default. If you don’t see at least one cluster do the next steps (8 - 11). If you see a cluster and cluster group skip steps 8 - 11.
- In the cluster explorer select all namespaces and go to to https://rancher.my.org/dashboard/c/local/explorer/apiextensions.k8s.io.customresourcedefinition and search for all CustomResourceDefinition items that match ".fleet.cattle.io" and bulk delete them.
- Go to search installed apps in https://rancher.my.org/dashboard/c/local/apps/catalog.cattle.io.app and click on the three dots menu next to "fleet" and select "Edit/Upgrade"
- In the screen that pops up and shows the application info (description, version, etc) Click on "Upgrade" at https://rancher.my.org/dashboard/c/local/apps/install?namespace=fleet-system&name=fleet&version=0.3.400&repo=rancher-charts&repo-type=cluster&chart=fleet#appReadme.
- Retry step 7. You should now see a cluster in fleet-local. And everything should work ok, including ingress and continuous delivery with “Fleet”.
by the author.